a fast effective approach to learning English(快速有效的英语学习方法)
On July 4, US should reflect on how to mind its own affairs （from Global Times )
July 4 this year marks the 246th Independence Day of the US. But prior to the day, the US media was filled with news reports / such as the death of Black motorist Jayland Walker // who were fired on by police at least 60 times, and the case of a 10-year-old rape victim //forced to travel from Ohio to Indiana for an abortion. It seems that they shouldn't exist / in a "civilized and developed society," but are indeed concrete microcosms of current American society facing crisis.（当前面对危机的美国社会的真实缩影）
In his Independence Day speech a year ago, US President Joe Biden said with "confidence" /that "America is coming back together." Yet a year later, what is seen is /a more divided, confused and chaotic America.
The deep-seated problems accumulated in the US for a long time /have reached a point that they have erupted massively. Issues such as mass shootings, political polarization, the gap between the rich and poor, and racial conflicts, partisan politics and women's rights /have been alarming /against the backdrop of the COVID-19 pandemic and severe inflation.
From the outside, the US now looks like a teetering giant, /who may stomp the earth at any moment due to its loss of balance. Still, the US is struggling to top up its so-called leadership image.
Biden's recent diplomatic footprints/ have extended more than 10,000 kilometers /from the Summit of Americas in Los Angeles /to the G7 Summit in Schloss Elmau, Germany,/ to the NATO summit in Madrid, Spain. Although the US government is trying its best /to show "leadership" to the world, the bigger question for the world is //whether the US still has the ability to lead itself.
However, in recent years, the US has been most enthusiastic about transferring risks and conflicts abroad. Many Washington elites see attacks on other countries, including China,/ as a magic trick to cover up internal problems and inspire social loyalty.
The Global Times published an opinion piece 10 years ago /to urge the US to "reform and open up." The article argues that as a "3A" country – a nation in arrogance, aggression, and self-appreciation,/ the US should promote reform and opening-up //to resolve its domestic problems.
【 Words and Expressions】
- reflect on…反省，思考
- prior to…之前，先于
- the case of a 10-year-old rape victim 一个十岁强奸受害者的案例
- abortion= 流产，堕胎
- the Independence Day of the US 美国独立日
- a civilized and developed society 文明发达的社会
- a more divided, confused and chaotic America 一个更加分裂、困惑和混乱的美国
- the deep-seated problems accumulated in the US for a long time美国长期积累的根深蒂固的问题
- against the backdrop of severe inflation 在严重通货膨胀的背景下
- looks like a teetering giant 看起来像摇摇欲坠的巨人
- struggling to top up its so-called leadership image 努力提升其所谓的领导形象
- be enthusiastic about transferring risks and conflicts abroad 热衷于把危机和冲突转移到海外
- as a magic trick to cover up internal problems and inspire social loyalty.作为掩饰内部问题和激励社会忠诚 的魔术
- n up."to urge the US to "reform and ope 敦促美国“改革开放”
- as a "3A" country – a nation in arrogance, aggression, and self-appreciation 作为一个“三” 国家，一个傲慢、侵 和自我欣赏的民族
- see attacks on other countries as a magic trick 把攻击别国视为一种魔术